Friday, April 29, 2011

First Days

First Days

There's a point in life. It's a section, an episode, a phase, which I for one find completely awkward. It's the kind of awkward feeling like arriving to school on the first day of High-School, and having no idea where you're supposed to be. Eyes of all the returnees seeming to stick to you like all the post-it notes holding the pages in your Algebra One math book, while you keep your eyes straight ahead hoping that someone, anyone you know to appear with open arms, a big smile, and a warm "Hello".
Most people would hope that this whole idea of your first day would be just another one of those high school myths to scare the freshmen. But the sad part for me, Elle Rogers, is --- Well, I found out this was no myth. It was the frightening reoccurring nightmare I had pictured highschool would be just like. That was me. Walking hastily through the hallways of George Washington high, with algebra book in hand and Jansport on my back.
There it was, Locker 216. In the corner of the hallway between Chemistry and History. I took off my backpack and grabbed out my gold lock. I had had it since 7th grade. I don't really know why, but something about that lock just brought a feeling of luck to me. I figured since it was the start of a new year I could use all the luck I could possibly get.
But I should have known that luck is never on my side. Walking in my direction was a Roly-Poly looking boy with what my dad likes to call a "pizza face". Pimples, Blackheads, and the scars left behind are every teenager's nightmare. The strange thing about this boy was that it seemed like he was totally unaware of the puss oozing out of the little red volcanoes all over his pasty white face. The boy stopped right next to me, and looked down at the paper he was holding in his hand. I glanced over at the top right corner of the page where the locker numbers were printed on every student's orientation sheet. Locker 217. Oh joy. I would end up with the one locker next to the one boy at school who still picked and ate his boogers in public. Better yet, I also just realized that I was stuck between the wall and Pizza Face over here.
"Excuse me" I said in friendly tone under my breath. He didn't budge.
"Excuse me" I said a little louder in a more stern voice. He glanced over and adjusted his feet. It couldn't have been easy for him to move in the tight space.
"Hello to you to. What is your name?" he said in a cheery voice.
Oh great. Now I was trapped in a corner and forced to make small talk.
"My name is Elle, and I am sorry but could I get through, I really need to get to class"
"Oh yah sure thing. One sec." He dumped out his possessions into his locker consisting of chap-stick, deodorant and some sort of cream with a unfamiliar name. Then he trudged out of the way and I quickly got out of there. Phew. Thank god that was over.
Basically the rest of my day went on what seemed to be an repetitious reenactment of boringness:
1. Sit down in class awkwardly while the teacher stares at her computer screen (I personally don't believe that actually doing anything but trying to make our lives totally and terribly awkward)
2. Teacher acts totally fake and happy to welcome the class
3. Play a name game
4. Read a syllabus that for every class consists of: don't chew gum in class, be on time and don't cheat :D
5. Leave and go to next class
I felt like my life was one big joke that teachers and parents had structured and created to make sure we had no fun. Well all I could think was there's a whole school year ahead of me. Will I have friends? Will I be cool? Will there be a guy? Whoa. So much to think about so much that could happen. God, help me just get through the first day, week, month.
Part 2:
One month has gone by and everything regarding school seems to be in check. I am getting decent grades, a nice medley of B's and C's. Seems about right for the numerous pages of unfinished homework shoved into the bottom of my bag, forgotten only by me,
but never by the teachers obviously. Well anyways the real juicy and interesting stuff is all about my social life. This past month creating drama was like making those glue rulers on the plastic SpAcE MaKeR pencil boxes back in 1st and 2nd grade. Basically, it was the "thing" and the only thing to do.
"OMG, did you hear about so and so's break up?"
"Yah I did, sounded super brutal they were both crying in class today."
"Wow I wonder what happened."
I swear, it seemed like this dialogue was used more than air is used to breathe. It was outrageous the breakups and make-ups and the notorious "friends with benefits" going on here just in the first month of school. But for me, a relationship is all I wanted since day two of school. It was 3rd period, better known as lunch. It was a mad house in the cramped cafeteria, filled with other kids shoving their faces with the daily "slop on a plate". However, the important part of lunch was not whether you ate the school's slop or had your mom make you a PB&J sandwich with the crust cut off, it was all about where you sat.
Where you sat put you in you're social group and ranked your social status. For instance if you sat on the table against the wall, you are considered a Gamer/Tweaker. Gamers are of low rank, but, they are higher rank than the Dorks (Pizza face). Being the second day of school seat and places were not quite official, so for "in-betweeners" like myself, it wasn't to late to get onto the Cool and Normal people table. Hallelujah. Sitting down at the table was my chemistry partner, Ava, who was waving me down to come sit next to her. Yes. I guess I am going to have friends after all this year. I walked over and took the seat next to her.
"Hey Girl!"
"Hey Ava, wutsup?"
"Well schools pretty much a drag and lucky for us its only the beginning"
"So tru…. I guess when I sat down I didn't realize the boy sitting to the right of me. I had just lost my balance a little and leaned up against him. Wow that's embarrassing, thank god he wasn't hott….. At that moment the boy turned around. Staring back at me were two bright blue eyes that looked like smooth waves of the ocean as they mesmerized and put me in a hypnotic state, a dreamland. But of course I had to blink and "Pop" there went my dream bubble. I had all but a second to catch a glimpse of his perfect and beautiful face, before he chuckled and said,
"Are you alright? You seem to be a little bit unsteady."
"Oh no im fine. Just a little tired that's all. Sorry about bumping you"
"No problem. By the way, Im Sam, and you are??"
"Oh im Elle, and its nice to meet you."
"It was a pleasure to meet you too. But I have to get going. See you around?"
"Yeah for sure"
He smiled at me and I swear I have never seen such white teeth. I mean you see on ads and commercials those people who have a little sparkle in their teeth. I didn't believe that was possible until Sam smiled back at me.
Everything now was about Sam. He constantly ran through my mind, knocking on the little door to my curiosity. I couldn't wait till I saw him again.
That moment was between fourth and fifth period. I went to my locker to go drop off my history book. I guess the little gold lock's lucky switch was on because walking in my direction was Sam. Oh wow, he was amazing. Then I noticed there was another person with him. But don't worry it wasn't another girl, it was just Pizza Face. (Well maybe you should worry.)
"So just remember Carl to simplify all your fractions and this next math test you should do just fine"
"Thanks Sam. You're the best tutor ever"
Wow. I was shocked about two things. One that fact that Pizza Face had a name, and two, Sam was a tutor. My dashing prince charming was also smart and a contributor to the community. Was anything wrong with this boy? I mean unless he was a super villain by night, nothing that met the eye seemed wrong about him. Okay snapping back to reality, the two of them stopped at Carl's locker. Sam glanced up and chuckled a little at me probably because my jaw was on the ground and he probably saw the drool I quickly wiped away with my jacket sleeve.
"Oh hey there Elle."
"Hi Sam, so I couldn't help but over hear that you are a tutor."
"Oh yah I help people with math. Considering that it's the only class I truly have a knack for, I might as well help other people."
"Wow, that's really cool"
Man, that sounded really dumb. But I guess it's better than what I was thinking in my head. "Oh Sam you're so perfect will you just be mine". Yup. What I said was definitely better than that.
"Oh yah I really enjoy it. I'd love to stay and chat but I actually gotta get going. See you two around."
Oh yah. I forgot Carl was here too. Oh wells. I guess I will see him around later.
See for me the thing about guys, is that they got to be cute, charming and smart. Sam was perfect but after contemplating him for many hours throughout the day, I came to the conclusion that I want to get to know him a lot more rather than just going off the two-second conversations we are able to hold. Yes. That's my goal. Get to know him then try to date him. Sounds like a plan to me!
Then came second 3rd period on Friday. I sat next to Ava again but this time, Sam was no where to be seen.
"Hey have you seen Sam"
"Yah I saw him during second period. He seemed a little unsteady though. Not his usual confident self you know"
"Hmph that's weird, I wonder why."
Then through the cafeteria walks Sam. It took me a second or two to realize that his was headed straight for me. Uh oh. I started to get all tingly and nervous. What is happening? Then it hit me. Was my plan about to be taken off course? Then it happened.
"Hey Elle. I was just wondering. Are you doing anything this Saturday night?
I just sat there, wide mouthed. Oh brother. This was going to be one crazy second month of school. Dani

1 comment:

  1. Dani, nice portray of emotions. Fascinating story that we can relate to. Anybody can be nervous on their first day,and your story captured that. Nice usages of words.
    Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete