Friday, April 29, 2011

2 Races at the Track

2 races at the track
Beep beep beep! I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock in my hotel going off. Focusing my eyes on I look at the clock and it reads 6:00. I am so tired from last night, I had to ride on a six hour flight from Hawaii to Oregon. The hotel bed was uncomfortable and hard. Today is the big day; the national track meet is today. I am considered the top 400 sprinter in the U.S. and could qualify for the Olympics if I win today. Stumbling out of my bed I get ready to get breakfast with Bob at the hotel buffet breakfast downstairs.
Bob is staying in a room with his friend, Todd. Bob is usually mellow and doesn't say much. Bob is blonde with a buzz cut and is pretty small. He grew up in California and goes to the same school as Todd. Bob is usually around Todd. Todd is related to Bill Gates and is quite rich. Todd usually keeps to himself and doesn't usually talk. As I walk to Bob's hotel room I start to smile remembering the good fun we had together. The last time I saw them was in 3 months ago when we were surfing at Huntington Beach. I remember the scorching sun from the beach and the still cold water at the beach.
I knock on Bob's door and see Bob, a fit blonde teenager answer the door standing with him is Todd, an African American teenager who is a lot bigger and a little older than Bob. Looking at Bob I say," Lets go get breakfast in the lobby."
"Wait Jimmy, I have to go take my pills," Bob says. "Why do you need to take pills, Bob," Todd asks? "I have diabetes. It 's a secret. I was just diagnosed, so don't tell anyone, Todd," Bob says. "Hurry up," I yell.
After about ten minutes of waiting around, we finally leave Bob and Todd's room and get into the elevator. When we get to the restaurant, we see Fred. I see Fred staring at Bob with an icy glare. Fred's fists are now clenched, while Bob starts to puff his chest up acting tough. Fred then walks up and punches Bob in the stomach. Looking at Bob and Fred, I immediately see a mismatch in size. Bob weighing 180 pounds and at 5'10 is a lot smaller than Fred. Bob seems to have bigger muscles; Bob's muscles are rippling out of his veins while Fred's are hard to see. Fred outweighs Bob by at least 25 pounds and is about four inches taller. Bob falls to the ground swearing and says, "Fred, I hate you."
Fred looks down at Bob and laughs and says," You better watch you back, Bob, or something worse might happen."
Bob gets up and pushes Fred. I step in between both of them and breakup the fight. Fred yells angrily at me, "Let me go, Jimmy. Let me and Bob settle this". Fred walks away while Bob tries to get revenge and chases after him, but is held back by Todd and I. This is the most mad I've seen Bob get. I can hear him swearing under his breath and muttering about killing Fred.
After everything settles back down we get to the hotel buffet. The smell of the food is like heaven. We get our seats at the restaurant and make our way to the buffet line. While we are walking there I notice Bob limping and tell him that he should go back to the table. Todd and I assure him that we will help to get food for him. At the buffet, there are fruits, cereal, waffles, and drinks. I get Bob and myself a bowl of cereal while Todd gets himself a waffle. Todd also gets Bob a strawberry Gatorade. I get to the table before Todd gets there, when Todd gets there Bob is already eating his cereal. Todd hands Bob the strawberry Gatorade. Bob says looking at the Gatorade label, "I can't drink this. If I do I could die within five minutes. If I consume more than five tablespoons of sugar it puts me in serious danger. " " Sorry, I didn’t mean to do that," replies Todd.
I hear a fork scraping against a plate and look next to us. I see a man with a nametag on. I think it says Jessie. All the people attending the track meet are supposed to wear a nametag so he must be running or watching. He is pretty big at around 6'3 and looks to weigh around 230 pounds. His eyes keep fanning back and forth; his eyes seem locked in on us. I think I saw him coming out of the room next to Bob's. "Is he stalking us?" I whisper to Todd and Bob that there is someone stalking us. I look up to show him the man but he isn't there. I turn and look everywhere, but I can't find him.
We just finished eating and start heading back to our rooms. The elevator door creaks opens and we all get in. Then as the door starts to close I see something swing forward to stop the door. I look and see Jessie, the guy I saw sitting next to us at breakfast. I feel goose bumps creeping up on my arm; I look at the guy and see something sticking out of his pocket. I look closer and see the outline of a knife and the online of a small container. I look at what floor the elevator is on, the 3rd we still have 7 more until we get off. Shivering from fear, I picture Jessie murdering all of us in the elevator. The elevator now seems steaming hot due to my fear. The elevator plays a calm jazz tune in the background; the music is soothing but doesn't calm me.
As soon as the elevator reaches the tenth floor, I race out of the elevator. I look back and see him following us. I get to my room and lock the door. Than I hear deafening and think that the guy must have attacked him. I look in my room for a weapon to use and find a silver pocketknife on the counter. Clutching the heavy pocketknife in my hand, I am ready to attack. But when I get there, I see Bob beating up Fred. I put the pocketknife back in my pocket sensing no danger. I separate both of them.
"Bob, what the hell happened?" I yell. Bob responds angrily, "Fred came out from hiding inside my room and jumped at me." "Is that true?" I ask Fred. He ponders his thoughts for a while and says, "I thought that was my room and accidently walked in. The door was unlocked and wandered in. I got startled and jumped and attacked when Bob and Fred came in."
Not knowing what to do, I told both of them to leave each other alone and go back to their rooms to get ready for the track meet.
After Fred leaves, I question Bob why he and Fred hated each other so much. Bob said that they both run the hundred-meter dash and that Fred had a slower hundred time than Bob by .3 seconds. After hearing this, I kind of understood why Fred tried to fight Bob. Fred was competitive and was angry with Bob for being better than him. Fred and Bob were both competing for the top hundred meter time.
I walk back to my room and put on my USA uniform. The tank top has red and blue stripes with white in the background. The pants are very short and are blue. I look at the clock and it reads 10:30. It's almost time to go. The bus will be coming to pick us up to take us to the stadium at 11. I go and get Bob and Todd and by the time we get downstairs it is 11 o'clock.
When we arrive at the stadium I am astonished by the size of the stadium. The stadium is gigantic and music is blasting from speakers. In the front of the stadium there are big letters showing Rose Garden. On the walls of the stadium they have the times for each event posted. The 400-meter dash is the first event and it starts in 30 minutes.
I take a warm up lap around the track and then start to stretch. While stretching I hear on the loud speakers a man talking in a monotone voice saying, "400 meter-runners, please check in." I go to the official office and check in. The official office is a small air-conditioned room with only 10 people inside. It is right next to the track and has a good view of the entire field. Inside I tell one of the officials that I am here. He scans his computer and tells me that my event is starting in five minutes. I thank the official and jog out of the office. I get to the track and put on my track spikes.
The referee tells us to take our positions. "On your mark, get set, go," he says. The starter pistol fires as the runners explode off the starting blocks. I am leading the way slightly with only 150 meters left. While I am running, I see Bob slouched on the ground and Fred running off. Bob almost looks as if he is dead and I wonder to myself what is he doing. I see his water bottle lying on ground, spilled all over the place. I have just over 25 meters left to run and it looks like I am going to win.
I reach the finish line coming in first place. Instead of celebrating I immediately run over to where Bob is lying down. By the time I get there, there is a big crowd of people around Bob. I try to squeeze my way through the crowd but no one budges, it's like a wall surrounding Bob. The paramedics are examining Bob and just finished checking his vitals. There were no signs of a fatal attack. The paramedics start to put Bob's body in the back of the ambulance for further medical examination. I go up to one of the paramedics and ask how long that will take and they say, "One week at the earliest." After the crowd leaves I observe the scene to see if anything looks out of place. I remember about the water bottle on the ground. I pick up the water bottle, there is about half of the water left. The Dasani water tag is still stuck on the water bottle. I look inside of the water bottle and it looks a little murky. I hold the bottle to my nose sniffing it and smell a faint smell. I think to myself if I should try it. I finally decide to pour a little on my finger. I lick my finger and taste sugar. I think that he may have been killed by the sugar.
I start to look for Fred. After, I remember that I saw him running away from Bob on the track. I run off and find Bob getting ready to run the 100-meter dash. I confront him and ask, "Why did you run away from Bob when he was dying?"
Fred replies sounding startled, "I ran because he said that he found out that I took steroids. I ran away and I was going to come up with a plan to get back at him. I would never kill him!" Fred frowns and walks away with his head down. He looks like he is actually sad that Bob got killed.
With no leads on who killed Bob, I start think about who would want to hurt Bob. I remember Jessie the stalker from the hotel. I run around the stadium looking for him and can’t seem to find him. As I run I pass the officials office, I decide to stop and see if anybody named Jessie was entered in any events. When I enter I see Jessie there in a referee uniform. Seeing him makes my body twitch in fear. I look around and no one seems to be in the office. I am scared, I wonder if he is going to kill me. I get ready to run when he comes over and gently grabs my arm and ask me, "Is there something wrong that I have done? Why are you afraid of me? You ran away from me in the elevator today." I feel relieved that he wasn't stalking us and apologize, "Sorry, I thought that you were stalking us."
He was the last suspect I could think of. I walked around and kept thinking. I wondered who knew that Bob had diabetes. In the morning I recollected that Bob mentioned that his diabetes was a secret. Who knew that Bob had diabetes? I thought about Todd and how he heard the conversation in the morning. I was shocked at myself for thinking that Todd and Bob were best friends. Todd wouldn't hurt Bob. Suddenly, in the corner of my eyes I see Todd he's running and leaving the stadium.
Todd's event was about to start and he was leaving. I start to chase after him; he has over a 200-meter lead against. After about two minutes Todd starts to slow down. It looks as if his stamina has died down. I am about ten-meters away from him when Todd pulls something out of pocket. He pulls out a 9 mm pistol and he is pointing it at me. I try to talk him out of shooting me. "Why'd you kill Bob? You don't need to do this. Just turn yourself in."
Todd laughs and says, "I can't turn myself in after what I've done. Bob would've taken away my dream; he was going to beat me in the 100-meter dash. I trained with him and allowed him to use my private coaches. I wasn't going to make it to the Olympics because of him. I couldn’t let him take away my dream."
Todd points his gun at me. I look around to see if anyone is there to save the day. I scan everywhere and can't see anybody. My heart is racing as I close my eyes, preparing to be killed. Todd now cocks his gun back and points it at me. I now realize my death is inevitable. I put my hands to my sides and than I feel something in my pocket. I wonder what it is, and then I remember that the pocketknife is still in my pocket from this morning. Acting discreetly I grab my pocketknife with my sweaty hand and wait for a distraction. I look to the left and act like something is there and Todd looks towards the same direction thinking that there really is something there.
While Todd is not looking at me, I explode off my legs launching myself towards him with my pocketknife, aiming at his chest. Everything seems to move in slow motion while I am in the air, jumping at Todd. I stay in the air, flying at Todd. Todd looks back at me and is stunned he fires his pistol and the bullet skims past me. I hear the whizzing of the bullet and stab Todd while the bullet passes me. Todd collapses to the ground, screaming in pain.

I wrote this story about track because track is one of the sports that I play. When I was writing this I was doing track. I wanted to do my story about track because I love track.

José

2 comments:

  1. This is a thrilling story, however one sentence didn't make sense to me "Than I hear deafening and think that the guy must have attacked him." It seems like you are missing a word here. Other than that, a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that your plot was very intriguing. The ending scared me a bit, but I guess it was good that you were able to catch me - the reader off guard - and keep me on the edge of my seat. Just fix a few grammatical errors here and there and you should be good. (:

    ReplyDelete